Friday, January 31, 2014

YSL glossy stain #5 - rouge vintage

Last month as a surprise, my older sister gifted me a YSL Glossy Stain in a shade that I had been hemming and hawing about buying for myself: Rouge Vintage. I first tried this on in Sephora a couple years ago just for fun as it seemed like a color I would never be interested in (pink!). Turns out the joke was on me because I actually ended up enjoying the shade on myself.

I have talked over the other two shades I own before here on my blog (Rouge Laque HERE, Violet Edition HERE). If you read them you know I do like the glossy stains. I find them to be extremely comfortable to wear and the colors pack quite a punch. I do firmly believe, however, that the formula does not perform the same across the board. Each shade seems to have a mind of its own.

Violet Edition is prone to patchiness on its own and requires a careful 2-3 layer application. Rouge Laque is a breeze to apply and reaches full, even opacity with no problem at 2 coats. So how does Rouge Vintage fair?

Rouge Vintage appears to be a seemingly purpled raspberry in the tube and on the doe applicator. Applied to the lips, it develops and settles into its true color: a beautiful rosy raspberry that isn't overdone. Out of all the shades I own this is easily my favorite. It requires only one careful coat. Color me impressed!

I'M SORRY FOR THE DANG HAIR STRAND ALL UP IN MY FACE.

YSL claims for these to be long lasting and I only agree with that IF you don't eat/drink/touch it. It most definitely comes off the lips if touched. It also should be mentioned that I have never found the staining capabilities of any of the shades I own to be great. I never wear them as a stain as it colors the lips unevenly.

AGAIN WITH THE HAIR. So distracting, ugh.

I love this shade. I find it easy and flattering to wear. As purely a lip color item, I enjoy wearing the glossy stains. They are supremely comfortable and don't dry out my lips. The gloss isn't sticky, on the contrary, it is cushiony and lightweight. It lasts if it isn't messed with or touched.

At $34 USD each, they are most definitely luxury items and not an absolute must try. The L'Oreal Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stains perform very similarly at a fraction of the price. Splurge if you are a YSL lover or are deeply moved by a color in the range. Save your money if you want a proper stain or are happy with the budget L'Oreal version.

Hopefully you'll forgive my hair strand atrocity. I'll end this post with a picture of a cat shirt I wore as a peace offering for you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment