Tuesday, June 11, 2013

a chat over concealers

Concealer is a territory that I am definitely not an expert in. I haven't tried that many out because, well I just never used to use them until the past year. It seems a bit silly now when I think back at how I never took advantage of concealers. They cover up pesky spots, add a certain brightness, and can create the appearance of slimmer features. What was I waiting for?

DSC_9413

SPOT TREATMENT
For covering up spots I like a thicker, concentrated formula so I don't have to apply many layers. I most often use my Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage palette in the shade SC-3. I mostly use the lighter left side, which is evident by the pan mark. It covers up spots decently when applied with a precise brush such as the Real Techniques Detailer Brush. When I first bought this the consistency surprised me. It is very firm and not very creamy which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it is worth noting.

Another item I cover spots with is DiorSkin Nude concealer in the shade 002. I originally bought this with the full intention to use it under the eyes but this shade wasn't light enough for my likes to use that way. Instead I use it on very red blemishes. It is much creamier in texture and you don't need much for coverage. My favorite application is gently with my fingers. I really like this and recommend it. I would even pick up the lightest shade to try under the eyes. All in good time!

UNDER EYES
For brightening up my under eye area, I like thinner and creamier textures so I can easily blend it in with my Real Techniques Contour Brush. My first concealer I ever used for this is the DiorSkin Sculpt Lifting Smoothing Concealer in shade 001. I am pretty much done with this, I have been trying to swirl up the last remains inside. It has a wand applicator much like a lipgloss wand. I think the thin formula is fantastic but the coverage could be better.

Revlon PhotoReady Concealer (forgot to picture this!) is a great drugstore option for under the eyes. I use the color 002 light and find it blends in wonderfully and looks great in photos. Another drugstore option that is great is the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind concealer in Brightener. It is thinner than the Revlon option as well as more color correcting since it has a pink tinge to it.

Speaking of color correcting, I also have the Giorgio Armani Master Corrector in shade 1 which is the more orange option. I don't use this often. I was curious about it so I bought it on a whim, sight unseen. Reflecting back I wish I would have picked up shade 2 since pink seems to do a better job under my eyes rather than orange.

Even though I have quite a handful of concealers, I have my eye on some newer additions already. I'm looking at you NARS Creamy Concealer! What are your favorite under eye concealers? I'd love suggestions. I know Bobbi Brown has quite a following with her products but ever since she changed the formula I've been wary...

No comments:

Post a Comment