Monday, April 22, 2013

review: revlon nearly naked foundation

Revlon claims this foundation to be "refreshingly light, it melts right in, creating a fresh even look. Blends seamlessly, buildable coverage. No heavy cakey or greasy mess." When Revlon Nearly Naked foundation first launched, I tried my best to resist buying it. I didn't need a new foundation and the description, although appealing, made me wary on how well it would perform on my oily skin type. Curiosity got the better of me so I bought it on a whim. So how does it fare?

revlonnearlynaked

PRICING/AVAILABILITY/PACKAGING
You can find this in pretty much any drugstore where the price will vary between $8-11. It is cased in a glass bottle with a white plastic cap, sans pump. Nothing special or bad about the packaging, I normally just dump the desired amount onto the back of my hand. I also shake up the product before dispensing just to make sure all the pigment is evenly dispersed.

WEARING REVLON NEARLY NAKED FOUNDATION ALONE
revlonnearlynakedalone

CLOSER LOOK
revlonnearlynakedaloneclose

FINISH/COVERAGE
The finish is very nice, very skin like. It isn't unnaturally matte nor too shiny. This is my favorite part about the foundation. The coverage is also decent and buildable. Think light to medium coverage. It does a great job at evening out the skin tone. If you are looking for something to cover dark scars or blemishes, you will need some help with concealer as this foundation won't cover it completely. I don't mind this, I dislike full coverage foundations since they always look unnatural and too made up for me.

FULL FACE
revlonNN

CONSISTENCY/FORMULA
The viscosity is thin and fluid. It is easily spreadable though I don't think this helps with its ability to blend. I notice that if I have a little too much product applied, it has a hard time blending seamlessly into the skin. I will see streak marks from my foundation brush (Real Techniques Buffing brush). When that happens I have to take my hands to press the product in and to make the marks disappear. This contains 20 SPF. I don't notice any harsh photography effects from SPF. There is a bit of a funky makeup scent to it, but it dissipates after application.

FULL FACE CLOSER LOOK
revlonnakedclose

WEAR TIME
I had my doubts about the wear time of this foundation...and I was right to have them. This just does not last on me. After around 4 hours, I turn into an oil slick. I tried using my Urban Decay De-slick spray, my Dream Matte Maybelline powder, and my NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powder. The NARS powder made it last slightly longer, but not my much. Since I have oily skin, I am used to seeing small amounts of oil creep its way through halfway through my day. This foundation left me very oily, more than normal.

IMG_2143

The above picture was taken with my iPhone about 4 hours after application. Sorry for my less than enthused face :P You can see that my nose and inner cheeks are quite shiny and slick. If I blot, it usually keeps oil away for another four hours but I noticed definite fading of the color by the 6-8 hour mark.

SWATCHES
RevlonNakedKGDLancomeKAFrom left to right: Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation in Shell, Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation in OC-1, Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24HR in 260 Bisque N, Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer in Sx06.

SHADE
I purchased the shade Shell. There are 16 shades available. I don't think this foundation caters much to darker skin complexions unfortunately. This shade doesn't match me perfectly. I have quite a bit of yellow to my skin. This foundation swatches warm but for some reason when I blend it into my skin, it turns neutral on me. It isn't hugely noticeable but I wanted to mention it.

OVERALL
For my oily skin type, this just does not last on me. This is a shame since I love the coverage and natural finish. In all fairness, Revlon did not boast this to be long lasting, only to be light and non cakey, which it truly is. Perhaps in the winter when my skin isn't as oily I will have better luck with it. The blendability can be an issue if you don't gauge the correct amount of product to use so start small and add more as you go to figure out the right balance. I think those with dry - normal skin types with few blemishes would really enjoy this as their day time foundation as it is very light and breathable. If you have oily or combo skin I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind blotting and don't care about the longevity of your foundation.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS FOUNDATION IF:

+ You prefer a natural looking finish
+ You have dry to normal skin with few blemishes
+ Longevity isn't a worry for you
+ You are in the market for an affordable daytime foundation

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS FOUNDATION IF:

+ You prefer full coverage
+ You like a matte finish
+ You have oily skin
+ You need a long lasting foundation

If you want to see this foundation in action, check out my getting ready with me post. Have you tried this foundation? What do you think of it?

In case you wondered:

Face: Revlon Nearly Naked, Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer, Maybelline Age Brightener Concealear, Maybelline Dream Matte Powder, Stila Bronzer, Bobbi Brown Cabo Coral Pot Rouge, Estee Lauder Modern Mercury

Eyes: Urban Decay Naked Palette, Giorgio Armani Waterproof Eyeliner, L'Oreal Voluminous Original Mascara

Lips: Estee Lauder Impulsive Coral Gloss

No comments:

Post a Comment