Friday, February 8, 2013

review: ole henriksen enlighten me skin tone corrector

DSC_8683

Skincare is all the rage for me right now. I can't get enough of it. I have a long wishlist even though my bathroom cupboard is full of skincare items I bought during Cyber Monday sales last year. During Sephora's sale I picked up a hyper-pigmentation product from the brand Ole Henriksen: the Enlighten Me Skin Tone Corrector. I have never tried Ole Henriksen before but I have heard great things about the brand. I bought this because I wanted to see how it performed on my acne scars and I wanted to try a product that was new to me.

DETAILS
This serum costs $48 USD. It comes in a glass bottle with a pump and 1 oz of product. It contains THC, lactic acid, lemon and mulberry extracts, and ester-C, all known skincare ingredients for chemical exfoliation. It contains no sulfates, phthalates, or synthetic dyes. Here is the full ingredients list for those interested:

Water, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Lactic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Calcium Ascorbate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Thioctic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tetrahydrodiferuloylmethane, Tetrahydrodemethoxydiferuloylmethane, Tetrahydrobisdemethoxydiferuloylmethane, Morus Alba Bark Extract, Vaccinium Myrtillus Fruit/Leaf Extract, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Acer Saccharum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Sorbitol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Oleth-20

THE SERUM
DSC_8674

FORMULA/CONSISTENCY
The serum is a marmalade colored fluid. The viscosity is thicker than water but not by much. It is very light and a bit runny. I find a full pump of the product is too much so I use half a pump (the amount shown in the above picture is what I use). It soaks into the skin quickly and doesn't leave my skin feeling sticky. The scent is pleasant, like candied oranges. It isn't too overwhelming and it doesn't linger.

PERFORMANCE
For reference, my skin type is combo/oily, visible pores, and acne scarring. My main concerns include scar fading, pore reducing/unclogging, and evening out skin tone. I have been using this every night since the end of November. I wash my face, spray on toner, apply this serum, then moisturize.

I do feel like my skin tone has evened out and gotten a bit brighter after using this. Unfortunately I don't think it has had any effect at all on my older cystic acne scars, however, I do see noticeably faster and better healing with any current breakouts I get. When I breakout, I usually get scarring and redness. This serum heals my skin faster and vanishes the mark before it can scar.

OVERALL
I think this is a very nice product if you breakout or get blemishes and want to avoid scarring or heal up the redness faster. If you only have old hyper-pigmentation and scarring and don't suffer from breakouts or blemishes anymore, this isn't the best option. My old scars looks the same but my newer breakouts don't get the chance to linger and scar. I also think if you have pretty clear skin but it seems a bit dull, this would be great at brightening and making your skin look its best. I enjoyed this. The scent is nice, it absorbs quickly and doesn't feel sticky, and I actually saw results even if it wasn't for my main concern (reducing old scarring).

I WOULD recommend this if:

+ you break out/get blemishes often and want to avoid scarring
+ your complexion is looking dull and you want to brighten it
+ you want to try a serum with a great non-sticky formula

I WOULD NOT recommend this if:

+ you only suffer from old hyper-pigmentation/scarring
+ you don't like the smell of candied oranges

Have you tried this product or anything from the brand? Seeing positive results with this product makes me want to try more from the brand. I am eying the Blue/Black Berry Enzyme Mask and will probably end up getting it eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment